Executive Director, Center for Coastal Studies
Click through for information.
The Center for Coastal Studies Coastal Processes and Ecosystems Laboratory (CaPE Lab) is looking for a skilled Hydrographer/Marine Technician and energetic team member in a dynamic, science-based lab who is interested in living in a unique setting on Cape Cod, in Massachusetts.
The successful candidate will lead the day-to-day operations of nearshore, shallow water acoustic surveys and contribute to ongoing scientific studies. This person will be stationed at the CCS Hiebert Marine Lab in Provincetown, MA.
CCS and UMB have several acoustic instruments including the Edgetech 6205 phase-measuring sidescan sonar (550/1600 kHz), the Edgetech 4125 (600/1600 kHz), and the Teledyne RDI Sentinel V ADCP (1000 kHz). The CaPE Lab has two main acoustic survey platforms, a customized, shallow-draft, research vessel (27’ Eastern) and a custom-built 12’ ultra-shallow draft (~0.5 ft) pontoon.
Main responsibilities are the acquisition of hydrographic data during day cruises based primarily from the CCS Marine Lab in Provincetown and occasionally other locations. Also, the candidate will be the lead for the processing of bathymetric data. Days at sea will vary but typically range from 20-30 days per year. Qualifications include:
- Experience at sea on vessel-based, acoustic surveys.
- Experience with hydrographic data acquisition, preferably using Hypack and Discover.
- Experience, or aptitude with the planning of field operations and logistics.
- Experience, or aptitude with troubleshooting hydroacoustic & oceanographic equipment.
- Experience with hydrographic data processing and visualization through software packages such as Hypack, CARIS, SonarWiz, Fledermaus, and ArcGIS.
- A Master’s degree in a relevant field is preferred, though candidates with long-term professional experience will be considered.
- Experience with phase-measuring sidescan sonar operations and data processing a plus.
Hydrographers, technicians, and other specialists are encouraged to apply. Ample opportunities exist for program expansion, as well as integration with other UMB and CCS programs, depending on candidate skills and interests.
Position comes with a comprehensive benefits package and salary is commensurate with experience. Please submit cover letter and CV via email to:
Review of applications will begin after October 9th and will continue until the position is filled.
You can find our open internship opportunities here: coastalstudies.org/about/internships/