1,000 Friends of Right Whales
Join Nauset Disposal and other concerned businesses, organizations and individuals in the drive to collect 1,000 Friends for the North Atlantic Right Whales and raise $100,000 dollars to fund the Center for Coastal Studies’ ongoing Right Whale Emergency Initiative. CLICK HERE TO DONATE!
THE FACTS: LOW BIRTH RATE + HIGH MORTALITY RATE = EXTINCTION
- There are only about 356 North Atlantic right whales left in the world; of those, fewer than 100 are breeding females.
- Between 2017 and 2020, only 22 calves were born. In that same time, 32 right whales were found dead, including several females.
- Where the cause of death is known, most fatalities have been the result of entanglement in fishing gear and ship strikes.
CCS IS WORKING TO SAVE RIGHT WHALES FROM EXTINCTION
There is no short-term fix to restore the right whale population, and recovery may take decades, but with your support, we can prevail. With your help, we will:
- Ensure that the CCS Marine Animal Entanglement Response team is able to deploy its ever-ready rescue squad to help right whales entangled in fishing gear
- Identify and protect important feeding areas
- Assess and advance new low-risk commercial fishing methods
- Understand and address underwater noise, marine pollution, and rising ocean temperatures to improve the health of these animals
Please CLICK HERE to donate today. You may also contact Sue Nickerson, Director of Development, at 508-487-3622 x 102, or mail in your gift to the Center for Coastal Studies at 5 Holway Avenue, Provincetown, MA 02657.
Thank you for your support!